Thursday, May 14, 2009

Confidence Rising

In my first blog, I talked about the fear factor. That’s not very relevant to young people, who somehow feel, they are immortal and indestructible. As we grow older we can more clearly see that thin line between faith and foolishness. Am I being foolish to think that at my age, I could throw caution to the wind and succumb to the thrill of a new adventure? How nice it is to have this platform where I can think out loud. Maybe no one else is listening, but I can throw it out into the blogosphere, like a boomerang, and see if it returns for another cast.

I am happy to report today that my confidence is rising. For one I went to the Fitness Center and had a workout for a change. The endorphins are activated and I am feeling better about recovering 100 % from my stroke and shedding some extra pounds in the process. I feel that I’m on a roll and who knows where it will lead.

Also I have been doing some research and it is amazing how many places in the world a military ID card can take you. It’s truly mind blowing. I should have started years ago, but better late than never. With a debit card, a money belt, going light with a back pack, and a small air mattress to use when spending the night in an air port, one is well on the way.

I hope this will not sound too weird. The last thing I told my wife of 57 wonderful years as she was passing over was: “Where ever I go and whatever I do in the time I have left, I will take you with me in my mind and heart. You can see through my eyes and hear with my ears.” Does that sound spooky? The good book says: “All things are possible only believe.”

It may have been General Douglas MacArthur who coined the phrase: “Old soldiers never die they just fade away.” I would rather say it this way: “Old chaplains never die they just praise away.” I’ve been wallowing in the slough of despondency long enough. It’s time for me to propel myself out of this pit of pessimism on the wings of praise. We need not be mired in the mud of negativism. I believe our God is waiting to turn our mourning into melodies and gird us with garments of gladness.

I’ll keep you posted on how my metamorphosis goes, as I struggle to escape the cocoon of a comfortable environment.

No comments:

Post a Comment