Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Trying is Winning


We live in a culture which is profoundly influenced by the professional sports mentality that winning is all important; nothing else matters. If you’re not a winner you can’t attract the fans in sufficient numbers to pay the bills. This philosophy, I believe, prevents many people who are not world class athletes from competing.

Happy Chappy subscribes to a different value system. I believe that the only ultimate failure is to give up on trying. All those who try are winners in my book even if they come in dead last. That’s how I feel about Space-A travel; or anything else for that matter. I may not have the strength to do it at my age. I’m not sure I can motivate myself to face the uncertainties of not having a confirmed reservation. But that should not keep me from trying. So, here I am a few days later, with a wireless lap top computer to make reservations ahead and stay in contact with family and friends. That way, they will know where I am and what I’m doing.

My workouts at the Fitness Center are building my strength and my confidence. I’m giving it the good old college try. That makes me a winner regardless of the outcome. Are you with me?

Here goes an easy one to get me started. I have a reservation to fly to my son’s house and spend time with the grandchildren. Then what? a cruise, bus trip, train ride learning as I go? When I run out of money, I’ll have to come up with another plan.

I have a senior friend who goes from cruise to cruise. She claims it’s less expensive than a rest home and they do it all for you and provide plenty of entertainment when you get board with the ocean. Now that lady has some spunk!

What about timid little me? Can I strap on the back pack and the money belt and with passport in hand face the world? Time will tell. Whatever the outcome, I consider myself a winner. Just keep trying to fulfill your dreams and you will be a winner in your eyes, regardless of how the world sees you. Amen, that will preach!

No comments:

Post a Comment