Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Desperate at the Dell



When my son offered to drive me down to San Diego to visit an old friend I’ve known for 50 years, I jumped at the chance. One night we went to the world famous Dell hotel in beautiful Coronado to listen to a band that was led by my friend’s grandson. We got in as guests of the band. What a wonderful evening listening to the music and watching the sun illumine the beach and set behind Point Loma.

I did something, however, that I never do. I took my credit card out of my wallet and put it in my front pocket. The next morning my credit card was no where to be found. “Panic!” as I imagined someone finding it and going on a shopping spree. Thinking I had pulled it out of my pocket when I withdrew my cell phone, we phoned the hotel and security checked the area. They found nothing.

Now I was fit to be tied fearing the worst. We drove back to the Dell to make our own search. Tracing our steps back to the entrance, we passed some birds perched on a tree looking very peaceful and contented. They seemed to be saying: “Why are you fretting, fuming and fussing? Don’t you know you have a Heavenly Father who knows when one of us falls to the ground. O you of little faith.”

Entering the area, I walked over to the couch and there, partially hidden behind one of the legs was my credit card safe and just waiting for me to find it. Instant relief came to me. Those bird brains got it right: we do have a Heavenly Father who watches over us ! Why can’t my human brain get it? Why am I so fidgety about traveling space A? Why can’t I rest and relax in the awareness that I am in the hands of a Higher Power?

I will keep relearning that lesson and maybe someday, I can launch out in faith and enjoy whatever opportunities present themselves. In the meantime, in between time; let’s just let life teach us how to trust.

No comments:

Post a Comment