Friday, July 3, 2009

A Homespun Philosophy with a Sense of Humor

Knowing my background as retired clergy, you might expect me to frame my armchair philosophy with religious language. Theology is so ingrained in my character, I expect it will burst out from time to time.

As this blogger continues to evolve, however, I can see that one of my most effective tools in escaping the rocking chair for a more rock and roll lifestyle is a belief system that is seasoned with a sense of humor. One of the pillars of my philosophy is that any circumstance has a humorous aspect if we will look for it.

I am told that traveling space available is like public speaking; the first speech and you are frozen with fear. It gets easier as you keep at it. I can remember one of the first Easter sermons I gave: I was quoting the biblical phrase, “this mortal must put on immortality.” I was so nervous, I got my tongue twisted and out came: “this mortal must put on immorality.” Several of the faithful enthusiastically responded, “amen!” Being Easter, I suppose, it was appropriate for me to lay an egg.

Right now I am in the nervous stage, thinking about all the uncertainties that could happen. A sense of humor is one of my best resources in getting comfortable with that eight hundred pound gorilla in the adjoining seat.

No comments:

Post a Comment