Friday, July 24, 2009

Pointing But Never Pulling The Trigger?



As I try to psych myself up to travel the world, I find another thing to do in preparation. Brushing up on my German; is it an avoidance mechanism? Am I cutting bait when it’s past time to start fishing? At any rate, it seems like good stimulation for my stroke ravaged brain. I’m a little surprised that I have so much archived in my long term memory.

Thoughts come to me from afar that I thought I had long forgotten. I feel, somehow, I’m stretching out and warming up for the big challenge; that first space A flight. It might or might not be across the Pond to Germany. Regardless, I’m having too much fun to quite now! If I can refresh my second language, why can’t I renew my whole weltanschauung (world view)? Das ist die Frage (that is the question).

When you’ve been through bypass surgery, cancer, stroke and the death of a spouse, you get a little backward about coming forward. I keep telling myself, if my body says: “you need to retreat” my spirit replies: “the retreat is only to advance, fall back if need be, regroup and prepare for another assault.” Will I listen to my spirit or my body? I should probably listen to both but which one will I follow? Can I convince myself or, must I keep treading water and not launch out into the deep? I guess the future will determine that. Whatever the outcome, I’m sure enjoying the process. So I say again: Trying is winning.

No comments:

Post a Comment